Sunday, March 18, 2007

Niagara Falls

Well, so much for my attempts to avoid winter this year. Boston was around freezing point, but that wasn't cold enough so I went further north to see what March can get like on the Niagara river.

It was -8 celsius when I arrived - that's 18 degrees fahrenheit for you oldies out there - and it got even colder. I invested in a fetching new woolly hat to help combat the cold.
But the falls were amazing - well worth the discomfort and the loss of feeling in my fingers.

I first went across the border into Canada to see the horseshoe falls (and to get another stamp in my passport!). I wandered along the walkway as close to the banks of the river as I could get, and the falls were an impressive sight. They were pretty noisy too, but maybe not as much as they would have been in the summer. The river at the bottom of the falls was frozen, with the torrents that were cascading down the falls flowing beneath the frozen part. The most impressive thing for me though was the amount of spray and mist coming up from the falls.

After spending less than three hours in Canada (just enough time for a shop to give me change from an item I'd purchased in US Dollars in Canadian Dollars - that came in useful...!), I went south of the border. On the American side, I had to pay for parking and the American Falls and the Bridal Veil Falls were not as impressive as the Canadian Horseshoe Falls. But the Americans have built an observatory bridge where you can go out and get a decent view of all three
falls.
The falls were great during the day. However, the authorities illuminate them at night, so I went back in the evening to get a sight of this. It was good, but not necessarily worth the return trip!
So I went back to Buffalo and had a traditional American meal - I went to an Indian for a curry. And surprisingly, it was pretty good!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home