Tuesday, March 13, 2007

More than a Feeling

After an unfortunate incident of having to fly with American Airlines (a terrible airline), then a night in the hotel at JFK airport, followed by an insane dash across New York, I made it to the train to Boston. I had a very pleasant journey along the East Coast despite the grey and miserable skies over Connecticut and Rhode Island.

I was met at Boston by my friend Kakia who very kindly had agreed to put me up (Greek philoxenia in action!).

Boston is a nice and interesting city. I spent some time wandering around Harvard which seems like a pleasant enough university. The sun was shining, but the temperatures there were around freezing. Cities look so much nicer when the sun is out.

I wandered round the city centre with Kakia, Peter and Carolyn. We went along the majority of the Freedom Trail, which takes in all the historic sites of the city. It is the oldest city in the US, and so there are quite a few such sites. I saw the old state house, where the Declaration of Independence was first read back in 1776, Paul Revere's house, the oldest standing house in Boston dating to 1680, Faneuil Hall, which had the old market place on the ground floor and the town hall on the first floor. Then there is the Granary Burying Ground, where Paul Revere and the founder of American beer, Hank Budweiser, I mean Samuel Adams, were buried.

I later made my way to see 'Old Ironsides'. This was not a very old TV detective in a wheelchair, but rather a warship that was involved in the War of Independence. The British called the ship, The USS Constitution, 'Old Ironsides' as none of the cannonballs they shot into its flanks penetrated the wood.

On the following day, we went to Concord just outside the city to see the site of the first battle of the War of Independence, Old North Bridge. We also had a look at Walden Pond, a pleasant site for walking round, which was frozen. The weather was bitterly cold, so we didn't walk round it.

I also had a chance to see Fenway Park, home of the Roston Bed Sox, the second most famous baseball team after the Yankees.

The best part of the weekend in Boston, though, was having the chance to catch up with some old friends. I particularly enjoyed my time at their house, playing with 2 and a half year-old Carolyn. That should help for my time back home, as a lot of my friends are expecting kids very soon... Watch out for Gaz's child-rearing skills coming your way...!

1 Comments:

Blogger Caillie Evans said...

We can't wait to see your child-rearing skills in action. When are you next coming Singapore way?
Love Caillie

9:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home