Sunday, January 07, 2007

And on to Sydney…

Pie and I decided to take the train from Melbourne to Sydney rather than fly. It seemed a good idea at the time. However, there was engineering work on the line that weekend (where have I heard that one before??!), bridge replacement at Wagga Wagga apparently, so we had to get a replacement bus for part of the journey. When I say part of the journey, I mean for six hours.

The bus journey was generally uneventful. The highlight was the bus driver’s CD collection. We particularly enjoyed (or do I mean ‘endured ’?) his album of cover versions of classic songs performed by a choir of young children. We looked on aghast as they murdered ‘Video Killed the Radio Star’, ‘Singing in the Rain’, ‘Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head’ and even ‘Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey Goodbye’. Also, the bus driver preferred to drive on the rumble strip at the edge of the road rather than on the road itself, and then took us on a ‘short cut’ to Cootamundra (where we were to pick up the train), which added an extra hour and a half to the journey.

The train part of the journey was fine - we caught up the time we had lost and arrived at Sydney on time. Unfortunately, there was some engineering work on the line we wanted to travel on to our final destination, so we needed to catch a replacement bus. This gave me my first glimpse of the Opera House and it was more amazing in real life than the pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home