Monday, December 11, 2006

Singapore - first thoughts

Singapore has been described as ‘as mad as cheese’, but I’m not sure that’s the case. Especially as I’m not quite sure how mad cheese is.

Singapore is dirty, smelly, disorganised and unsafe. No, not really. All the stereotypes I’d heard about Singapore are true. I tested this out by chewing some gum and dropping some litter. I am writing this from Changi Prison. The country is very clean - so much so that the maintenance man in the block I am staying in sweeps the ground outside every morning at 7am.

It does feel safe. Nobody tries to pester you or rip you off in the street. Taxi drivers are so well regulated that you know you’re not being taken advantage of. And it is organised too, especially the very efficient public transport system.

Singapore is the perfect place for people who like to shop. Sadly, I’m not one of those people. There is a whole street of shopping malls on Orchard Road. Then just round the corner, there are a few more shopping centres. Every small community has its own series of malls, in case the ones in the centre weren’t enough.

Then there’s the food. I have been told that the language of Singapore is the universal language of food. Singaporeans like to eat! The first place Paul and I went to eat for lunch cost about £1 for a huge plate of noodles. That would explain why Singaporeans tend to eat out most of the time - it is just as cheap as eating something they’ve cooked themselves at home. I’ve been eating a lot of seafood, which is strange because I don’t really like seafood. I’ve even learnt how to use chopsticks. That is an important life skill which will stand me in good stead in the future.

I’ve spent a great few days at Paul and Caillie’s place (despite the early morning sweeper!). It’s been fantastic to catch up with them again after so long.

As well as visiting some of the malls, we went to look round the Botanic Gardens. The highlight was the evolution garden, where they tried to show how plants have evolved over the years. There were some examples of proto-trees, cunningly crafted from metal, and there was a steaming pit of lava surrounded by snow-tipped mountains.

It has been a good few days, but Singapore is made for shopping and eating. I enjoy one of those activities (I‘ll leave you to decide which one), so it has been fine for me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home